Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Gospel is for Me, a Sinner!

"Since the gospel is only for sinners, I come to Christ as a still practicing sinner. In fact, I usually use the words of that tax collector in the temple when he cried out, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner' (Luke 18:13). God has been merciful, and I’m quick to acknowledge his mercy in my life, but I say to him that I come in the attitude of that tax collector. 'I need your mercy. I am still a practicing sinner. Even my very best deeds are sinful in your sight, and I am an object of your mercy and your grace.'

And so we come to the Lord and we say, 'Lord, I come still a practicing sinner, but I look to Jesus Christ and his shed blood and his perfect obedience, his righteous life that has been credited to me. And I see myself standing before you clothed in his righteousness.'
"

- Jerry Bridges, Stand (A Call for the Endurance of the Saints), ch. 1, p. 23, 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails