Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Family Best

I have realized that it is part of my role as a husband and father to work hard to provide for the needs of my family. But I have also realized that it is God who ultimately provides for everything pertaining to me and my family, be it the strength and intellect that I utilize in the dispensation of my tasks, to the faith that I need to see all of this. I have realized that it is not for me to carry the burden of provision.

What, then, is the sole purpose that I must strive for? It is liberating, soul-freeing, and empowering. It is simply this: THE PURSUIT OF CHRISTLIKENESS.

If I devote the totality of my being to this end, then I am seeking that which is the reason for my creation and nothing else matters. In this pursuit, I am released from the shackles of the worldly mindset of "keeping up with the Joneses" and thinking that anything less is a disservice to my family. Our worth and well-being are bound up in the promises of God. In this, I am being the husband and father that God wants me to be, the kind that pursues Christ, and the best possible kind to my wife and children.

6 comments:

  1. Spot on! Several years ago I started praying (and still am) that God would help me to be the kind of father that He is, and the kind of husband that He is. Vis., faithful, patient, unselfish, wise and loving, among other things.

    To become like Christ is to become everything that is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to remind myself of these things time and again, brother, as I am apt to sin by being worrisome and anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren,

    I needed this, right now, TODAY! Thanks for posting.

    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a husband and father, too, Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Underdog,

    Have you considered how to live these two Scriptures:
    1) "Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church", and
    2)"Let those who have wives live as though they had none?"

    I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails