Monday, April 13, 2009

Solitude, Times Alone with God

Lk 5:16
But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.

I have come to know myself better and have realized that I truly cannot function as I should, in all godliness and effectiveness, without substantial times of being alone with God. I have observed that indwelling sin gets the upper hand whenever these seasons of solitude are neglected. It is something that must be approached intentionally, though my mind and emotions often speak loudly enough—in manifestations of anxiety, despondency, and a lack of peace—to remind me of this need that must be filled everyday.

Therefore, I have now made a commitment to treat solitude as a critical part of this Christ-ward journey called life. I will take in as much time as required to be abiding in the presence of God, apart from every concern and distraction except the one that seeks to gain vital nourishment from the Vine, and this mingled with worship, meditation, and the feeding on the Word.

These times will be pockets of heaven on earth.

"It has been said that no great work in literature or in science was ever wrought by a man who did not love solitude. We may lay it down as an elemental principle of religion, that no large growth in holiness was ever gained by one who did not take time to be often long alone with God." - Austin Phelps, The Still Hour or Communion with God, p. 64

5 comments:

  1. Brother, these words stir up a reminder to me of my great need for silence and solitude with my God... thank you. I was blessed a couple of years back to hear a brother speak on this at a men's retreat. I gladly recommend Don Whitney's 'Spiritual Disciplines for the Christion Life', chapter 10 is on Silence and Solitude.
    Blessings and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tim,

    I do have Don Whitney's book, and the quote above by Phelps was found therein.

    Thanks, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I can easily notice my spiritual vitality flagging or surging in direct proportion to my time spent with the Lord. How we need Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for continually calling us back to a humility we sometimes leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps 73:25
    Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.

    Ps 73:26
    My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

    God bless you, my brothers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails